On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Kai Schindelka wrote:

> > VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 03:06
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:06
>
> Looks like the HA driver module the boot drive is attached to is missing
> in initrd. A misconfigured LILO may also be the cause.

        HA driver module? What's that? mkinitrd doesn't give any error
        while making initrd. And I use grub, not lilo. This is what I need
        more info on - initrd. Anyway, is it good to compile 2.6 kernels
        monolithic?

> I would recommend trying a pristine 2.4.25 Kernel from kernel.org first.
> Patches can always be applied later. Then rebuild. Center on booting an
> unmodified Kernel, then reconfigure, then patch. Better to start with
> the least complex option, I guess. Always keep working Kernel packages
> as a backup.

        By unmodified, do you mean no changes to .config, and compiling
        with the default options?

> For the same reason I'd start with a static Kernel. Apart from being
> more secure, it is easier to build. And disable everything you don't
> absolutely need to get the machine up and running. Bells and whistles
> can always be added later. Switch to modules when the static Kernel
> runs stable.

        I do disable everything I don't need. But, I need to
        compile win4lin support as well as cmpci sound+modem driver and in
        it's readme, they clearly say to compile it as a module. Not
        possible in a monolithic kernel. Or it could be plex86 if that
        works. I've been able to compile the plex86 but didn't do anything
        after that.

> > I do not know C or C++. I'm no programmer.
>
> You don't need to have to. Compiling a Kernel requires no programming
> skills. Albeit they may be helpful, though.

        Problems arise when I get errors, and the errors are due to some
        file syntax problem by the programmer or such. And if I don't have
        net access, I get really stuck.

> Have a look at the packages build-essential and kernel-package.
> The following works for me on a Debian stable:
>
> After that, the image is installed with "dpkg -i <kernel-image>".

        This is the "debian way" of installing kernels isn't it? I'd still
        like to stick compiling kernels the generic way, except for
        keeping my custom compiled kernels as debs for later.