On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Matthias Schweinoch wrote:

> i run a woody 3.0r1 linux, and i can't seem to get certain german characters
> displayed (or typed). this effect is limited to certain applications. for example, i
> can see and type the characters in my mailer, (as they appear in the subject line),
> emacs will take them (though saving files with these characters will typically
> bugger them up), but in an xterm (or konsole), or when i work with x11 disabled, i
> can't type or see these characters: when i call "ls" on a directory that holds
> entries with these characters, they will be replaced by a question mark... trying to
> type them gives me the error beep.

Hi,

maqybe you try this:

1) edit /etc/inputrc:
 # To allow the use of 8bit-characters like the german umlauts, comment out
 # the line below. However this makes the meta key not work as a meta key,
 # which is annoying to those which don't need to type in 8-bit characters.
   set convert-meta off
2) run dpkg-reconfigure localeconf
3) run dpkg-reconfigure locales
4) change your language settings in kde