On (25/02/04 17:23), Alisdair wrote:
> After using Mandrake and Knoppix over the last couple of years I have finally
> managed to install a working Debian system :-), and everything seems to be
> fine except the printing :-(
>
> I have looked through several forums, and done my best to rtfm but haven't
> come up with anything that has made a difference.  I suspect it is something
> very basic but...
>
> I'm afraid I am at a complete loss.  lp seems okay.  CUPS seems to be properly
> installed.  In fact I have installed it and gs several times, but there is no
> output at all, and no indication that my HP Laserjet 5L (using the hpijs ppd)
> is even being told to do anything, although CUPS detects the printer is
> present on /dev/lp0.
>
> Below is the contents of:
> 1. lpinfo -v
> 2. /var/log/cups/error.log
> 3. /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>
> If anyone can help me get this sorted out I would be VERY grateful.
>
> Regards, Alisdair.
I am no expert but have wrestled (successfully in time) with printing both
locally and via the network.  I found adminstering printers via a web
browser is fairly straightforward.  URL http://localhost:631/admin
login as root and you should get a reasonable idea of what is going on.

HTH

Clive
--
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk