On Wednesday February 25 at 09:45pm
Pigeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:48:29PM -0600, Raiz-mpx wrote:
> > From: Johann Koenig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >The ultimate in SMP is, of course, Sun Computers. Hundreds of CPUs,
> > >Hundreds of Gigs of RAM, Hundreds of thousands of dollars.
>
> ...or the cheaper alternative... racks of Playstation 2s, running
> Linux. (Found this on dead-tree, but I'm sure Google would find it.)

Very interesting, but how is this different than a stack of <generic
cheap motherboard>? They can't be selling them at so much of a loss as
to drop the price enough to compete with computers that have *no* sound,
*no* video, *no* hard drive (diskless isn't too hard to set up), *no*
case, et cetera. After all, I got a dual PPro board with 2x200mhz and
128mb ram for $30. If they are readily available (in quantity), I don't
see getting a cheap enough computer to be an issue.

> > You need to ask yourself just what kind of numerical modeling are
> > you going to do?  What programs are you going to use, will they be
> > able to use both cpu's?
>
> FWIW tochnog (which is in Debian) can handle multiprocessor systems.

I believe just about anything with threads is inherently SMP capable
(please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
--
-johann koenig
Today is Setting Orange, the 55th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3170