On Sunday 29 February 2004 10:06 am, Douglas A. Paquette Jr. wrote:
> To whom it may concern at Debian,
>
> I have a Compaq Proliant 8000 server with 4 Ultra 320 10k 72.8 gig
> scsi hard drives.
>
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliant8000/
>
> I had a guy from a computer store successfully install debian into my
> proliant 8000 but ran into some problems between my webmaster and
> this guy and this guy will not tell me anything as to how he got it
> installed.
>
> I want to format and reinstall debian into my proliant 8000 again for
> a fresh install but for some reason Debian is not detecting any hard
> drives during the first part of the install process.
>
> I have setup raid 5 array and a system partition using Compaq's Smart
> Start CD and still it does not detect any drives.
>
> I have even wiped out all the data and installed the debian cd with
> no drives partitioned, no raid, no array config or anything and still
> no go.
>
> Is there anyone who has any experience installing debian on proliant
> servers who could help me out with this.
>
> I have done everything i know of to do.
>
> I have no problem installing Red hat linux version 9, it detects the
> drives and the raid config without hesitation.
>
> But debian doesnt.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or 708-334-5845
>
> Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Doug Paquette

This is what the specs say the controller is, RedHat 7.2 is supported on
that box. "Smart Array 2xx, 3xxx and 42xx Family of Controllers", which
is the cpq_cpqarray driver.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17261.html

Using Woody the 2.4.18bf kernel has this driver compiled into the
kernel. This is for the Smart Array 5xxx series, not sure if it is
backwards compatable.

CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA=y

Not much help, but 'disks not found' in this type of situation can mean
no driver compiled into the kernel , for the hardware raid card, for
the Woody kernels.  You need to make sure the driver for the raid card
is available in the install kernel.
- --
Greg Madden
Debian GNU/Linux