Quoting Mike Dresser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Phillip Hofmeister wrote:

> > All,
> >
> > I am looking to install a Seagate Travan 10GB/20GB IDE Tape drive into a
> > Debian box.
>
> Your basic method listed in the rest of the email is the way to do it.
>
> Keep in mind this tape drive will self destruct in about a year or two of
> use.  Sometimes silently.
>
> At least you're using a Seagate and not an HP, which will last 6-12 months
> if you're lucky.
>
> As for other IDE drives, I don't know of any offhand that are worth the
> time.
>
> SCSI DDS-3/4 tape drives are relatively cheap, especially when you
> consider media costs.  You can get a SCSI controller for 75 dollars or so.
>
> Mike

I have been running daily or every other day backups on a Seagate
STT20000A for 4 years.  I recently had what I thought was a drive
failure.  It was 2 tapes failing at once as required by Murphy's Law.
Probably none of the original tapes remain.  Somewhere I saw quoted
that the expected lifetime of these tapes is 20 read/write cycles.  I
am running them long beyond that.  It is probably reasonable to figure
on replacing 3-5 tapes per year.  Note: 3 tapes == $100-$120.  Tape
drive $200-$290.

Alternatives are going to cost more up front.  Hopefully, cheaper
media and longer life will more than make up for it.

Jeffrey