Hmm. I tried apt-get install kdebase, which gives me:

  kdebase: Depends: kdelibs3 (>= 4:2.2.2-1) but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libkonq3 (>= 4:2.2.2-14.7) but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: kdebase-libs (= 4:2.2.2-14.7) but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

Nor does apt-get -f work, nor the apt-get --purge suggestion of the second poster.

This is very odd, no? Shouldn't there be some way to install kde--no matter how
screwed up the dependencies get--by allowing downgrades to the right versions (which
I'm perfectly willing to do...)?

Thanks,

Charles.