On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Col @ Home wrote:

> Am trying to set up a firewall on a Debian linux machine using
> iptables. New to linux, can anybody point me in the direction of a
> good guide to configuring a firewall using iptables?

If you want to know how to build your own ruleset and how to install it
see my page on iptables at

http://huizen.dto.tudelft.nl/devries/security/iptables_example.html

Visit frozentux for an in-depth explanation of iptables itself (don't
know the url without looking it up, but it is on the same page I
mentioned above) .

Also I recommend you read Bob Ziegler's book on iptables if you really
want to dig into this matter.

If you just want to run iptables without any fuss you might want to try
one of the configuration tools like shorewall.

Grx HdV