On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 09:56:57PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Here's my questions:
>
> a) Where do I edit global profile changes?

One place for enviroment variables is with pam_env in /etc/pam.d and
/etc/security.
Another for enviroment variables is /etc/enviroment
Limits can be handled with pam_limit

> b) I looked at the .profile and the .bashrc files in my user
> directories... I may be an idiot, but I don't see where they are in turn
> calling a global profile file... or is it the other way around (a global
> file is calling them?)

The shell automatically reads them. What it reads is dependant on whether
it is a login shell, an interactive shell and the output of 'pom' :-)

> Thanks for suggestions and help.... I tried Google and the list
> archives, but I can't seem to formulate a good search that gets me the
> info I need.

Try 'man bash'. Its under INVOCATION. Don't ask me if X parses
/etc/profile etc. 'man X' maybe?

Brian