Going through system mail, I found several chkrootkit runs showing a
possible bindshell exploit:

    Checking `bindshell'... INFECTED (PORTS:  600)

On checking with 'chkrootkit -x bindshell', turns out that I had a
process open on port 600 UDP:

     udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:600             0.0.0.0:*

That's output of 'netstat -na'.  Running (thanks, bodq on #debian IRC)
'netstat -nupl', I see this is rpc.statd, which runs as part of my NFS
client configuration.  This process requests an arbitrary port from the
portmapper at startup, and isn't assigned a consistent port on multiple
invocations.

Restarting the nfs-common services (/etc/init.d/nfs-common restart)
reassigned the port and cleared the ckrootkit report.

Seems chkrootkit might want to check against known good services running
on arbitrary ports.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/