I don't have the machine in front of me, but I'm
nealry certain that I don't have "savedefault" set. I
believe my grub entry for win xp was essentially the
same as what is shown in the grub docs:

title win
root  (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I set root to (hd0,1), which is the /boot directory
(and where grub lives). Perhaps this is wrong, but I
interpret "root" in the context of grub to basically
mean grub's root.

Richard

--- Alex Malinovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 13:35, Richard Weil wrote:
> > I'm having a grub/dual-boot problem.
> >
> > I'm running Sarge with the kernel from the initial
> > install. The hard drive has 4 primary partitions:
> >
> > part 1 = win xp
> > part 2 = /boot --> marked bootable in partition
> table
> > part 3 = /
> > part 4 = swap
> >
> > I installed win XP into part 1. I then installed
> Sarge
> > and updated grub. On reboot, everything was fine
> --
> > grub showed a menu with both win xp and linux. I
> could
> > boot into linux fine. I had to then boot into
> windows.
> > Now, on reboot, the grub menu doesn't come up; the
> > machine goes straight into windows.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do in my grub setup to
> prevent
> > this? It would be nice to actually be able to go
> back
> > and forth.
>
> Check your configuration. Your XP entry probably has
> something along the
> lines of savedefault set.
>
> --
> Alex Malinovich
> Support Free Software, delete your Windows partition
> TODAY!
> Encrypted mail preferred. You can get my public key
> from any of the
> pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837

name=signature.asc