----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Rohrman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Thomas Adam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: cdrecord error

> Well, I couldn't get "cdrecord" to work under Debian, so I went back and
> installed Solaris x86.  Funny thing happened when I did that.  Solaris x86
> was giving me the same error when I tried to run "cdrecord."  After poking
> around for a while, I noticed that volmgt was on.  I shut  off volmgt, and
> viola! cdrecord worked on Solaris x86!!!
>
> Is there a volmgt on Debian in my way of using cdrecord?  If someone out
> there knows, please pass it on as I would rather use debian than Sol x86.
>
> Pete

It's a known issue on Solaris that you must disable volmgt in order for
cdrecord to work.  On Linux you *must* have three things: (1) a parameter
passed to the kernel at boot time,  (2) the ide-scsi kernel module loaded,
(3) cdrecord.

Here's a step by step.  Be root to proceed.  First of all be sure you know
which device file (under /dev) refers to your cd burner.  If it's primary
slave then it's /dev/hdb and if it's secondary master then it's /dev/hdc and
if it's secondary slave then it's /dev/hdd.

Lat's say for sake of argument it's secondary master (/dev/hdc).  Then your
lilo append line must look like this:
append="hdc=ide-scsi"

If you already have an append line with other arguments in it then be sure
to include those arguments between the quotes.
The important part is that you use the correct device name, "hdc=ide-scsi"
or "hdd=ide-scsi" or whatever is needed.

When this is done, run lilo, reboot and check to see if your kernel
recognized it.  Issue this command:
dmesg | grep ide_setup

You should see something like "ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi" appear.  That takes
care of step 1.  Now you need to load the ide-scsi driver.  I'm going to
assume you don't have it compiled directly into the kernel.  Issue this line
from the command prompt.
modprobe ide-scsi

Now if you run dmesg you should see something like this toward the end of
the dmesg output:
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-RW CRX0811     Rev: MYS2
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Now you're very close to being able to use your burner.  The last step is to
use cdrecord.  Cdrecord expects your burner to be a scsi device.  To find
the scsi device number you're best off typing this:
cdrecord --scanbus

The output should resemble this (more or less):
Cdrecord 2.00.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'SONY    ' 'CD-RW CRX0811   ' 'MYS2' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'SIIG' 'CompactFlash Car' '0113' Removable Disk
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

If that doesn't work try modprobe sg first.
This tells us the scsi device of the burner is 0,0,0.  That's the argument
you provide to cdrecord.  The following line works just fine on my system:
cdrecord -v -speed 8 -dev 0,0,0 example.iso

All these things must be correct.  You need to get the scsi device number
correct, the kernel must acknowledge your cd burner in the dmesg output, you
must supply the correct /dev/hdX device name, and the ide-scsi module must
be loaded.  If any of these things are missing or wrong then all bets are
off.  Hope this helps!