On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:46:45 +0000, MJ Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On 2004-01-07 14:24:20 +0000 Manoj Srivastava <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

>> You fear that people who know absolutely nothing about a package
>> are deemed not the best judges to propose replacements?

> No, I fear pointless exchanges like this example between 1, a
> non-free user, and 2, a non-free non-user:
> 1. I use A from non-free. What do you suggest I use instead?
> 2. B
> 1. B is no substitute for A! You don't use A, so you don't know what
> does and can't make good suggestions.
> 2. What does A do that B doesn't?
> 1. Use it for yourself.
> 2. You know I won't.
> 1. Zealot! You don't care about the users.

        So the appropriate way of nipping this kind of thing in the
 bud is not to resume to know what the replacement is unless you are
 familiar with the entity being replaced.

>>> what are the nearest equivalents of those two?
>> Nothing yet. Nothing remotely close enough.

> I asked "nearest" and not for a judgement of whether anything was
> "close enough". Anyway, good luck with helping them fix their
> licences.

        Oh, that way apples and oranges are close -- both fruit, neh?
 I prefer not to compare apples and oranges when trying to determine
 replacements.

        manoj
--
Man weeps to think that he will die so soon; woman, that she was born
so long ago.  -- H. L. Mencken