On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 09:13:14PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Well, i am also an, altough not very active lately, XFree86 upstream,
> and i have been in contact with ATI professionally to try to get specs
> for a closed source ppc OS 3D drivers for the R300 family of cards, so
> i know what i speak from. I don't see what you mean by quoting the above
> changelog, please be a bit more specific.

I've seen open offers of help from ATI to anyone writing Xfree86 drivers.

But let's take this to private email.  [I'm writing you a separate
message with the details.]

> > [Also, ATI provides source.  That source isn't redistributable, and
> > comes in an rpm package, and might have x86 dependencies, but it's
> > source nonetheless.]
>
> Are those more than just a wrapper stuff around a bunch of binary-only
> drivers like the nvidia ones ?

Yes.

They provide precompiled binaries for that source [modules for certain
prebuilt kernels], but the source itself seems to be complete.

> Well at least they are based on the XFree86 accel architecture and DRI,
> unlike Nvidia, but i doubt there is interest on ATIs side to free this
> source code.

If they bought part of it from someone else, they might not have that
as an option -- at least not one they can afford.

--
Raul