> As far as I can tell though there weren't any actual solutions to the
> problem suggested.
>
> The problem is:
>
>       (a) A group of developers don't think the social contract can
>           legally (according to the constitution) be modified
>       (b) A group of developers think modification of the social contract
>           should require a supermajority
>       (c) A group of developers think modification of the social contract
>           by simple majority is perfectly reasonable and legal under the
>           constitution

Also, we should clarify that (c) could further be subdivided into
people that feel that the social contract should require more than a
simple majority to modify in an ideal world but also think that it
currently does not, and those that think that it should not require
more than a simple majority to modify.

> Darren proposed to fix this by fiat, which is definitely the way to get things
> done elsewhere, but isn't exactly constitutional.

Exactly.  We seem to have a deficiency in the constitution in this
matter.

--
John Goerzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       www.complete.org
Sr. Software Developer, Progeny Linux Systems, Inc.    www.progenylinux.com