Martin Michlmayr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> As I balance, I think we should make it clearer to bug submitters that
> they can re-open bugs and that feedback is encouraged.

What about where a bug is closed by the maintainer on the mere hope
that it has been fixed by upstream?

I have been told more than once by Debian developers (Christian
Marillat is a prime offender) that "this bug is now fixed in
upstream", and had the bug closed then, even though no Debian package
has been uploaded.

Or had a bug closed because "upstream won't fix it".  Or had a raft of
bugs closed when a new upstream release happens, and when I ask: "are
you sure this is fixed, nothing in the changelog mentions it", I'm
told that it's my responsibility to check and reopen the bug if it's
still there.