#include <hallo.h>
* Anthony Towns [Tue, Nov 15 2005, 12:08:15PM]:
> Hello world,
>
> One of the issues Debian often stands for is transparency and openness
> -- indeed, the openness of our bug tracking system is codified in the
> Social Contract's statement "We will not hide problems". However, one
> particular area of significance within the project is not open at all:
> the debian-private mailing list.
>
> This list has hosted a number of significant discussions over the years,
> including most of the discussion inspiring the original statement
> of Debian's Social Contract and the Debian Free Software Guidelines,
> the reinvetion of the new-maintainer process, debate on the qmail to
> exim/postfix transition for Debian mail servers and more. This trend
> continues today, with the six months just past have averaged around 190
> posts per month.

Is that all the justification you can provide? Sorry, not convincing.
-private exists for a reason and the reason still does exist.

And I cannot see much value that outside world would get from having
read access to -private but a much more serious problem with
practically uncontrolled disclosure of information that was guaranteed to
be not for public use until the end of days.

Eduard.
--
[Surveying a scene in a bar below] Sebastian: Nothing changes: Decadence,
immorality, chaos.