On 08/10/07 at 17:33 +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the discussion on the proposed social committee, I proposed that we
> elect (all) the members of that committee. The Debian Constitution currently
> doesn't provide for a way to do so - it only describes how a single winner
> is decided.
>
> So, I proposed the following addition to the section A.6. Vote Counting
> (part of appendix A Standard Resolution Procedure):
>
> +        If the election requires multiple winners, the list of winners is
> +        created by sorting the list of options by ascending strength.
> +        If there are multiple winners with the same ranking which exceed
> +        the desired length of the list, the length of the list is extended
> +        to include the entire last set of multiple winners.
>
> Is this technically sound? I don't know voting method syntax.

couldn't we get cycles using that? Alternatively, we could iteratively
elect:
- winner1: the winner with all candidates
- winner2: the winner with all candidates minus winner1
- winner3: the winner with all candidates minus [winner1, winner2]
- etc
using the same tally sheet

Or, we could elect a list directly (ie each option is a list of people
willing to work together as SC), which would allow to elect a SC which
is actually representative for Debian. It's probably better than the
first solution, as the first solution isn't clone-proof: we could have
elected n Sams!! ;)
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |