On Tue, Nov 18 2008, Martin Wuertele wrote:

> * Manoj Srivastava <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-11-18 14:47]:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 18 2008, Martin Wuertele wrote:
>>
>> > * Lars Wirzenius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-11-17 19:31]:

>> > Did you ever read SC #4? It's a violation of the SC to not provide our
>> > users with a usable system.
>>
>>         I do not think you have read 4 and 5 together.
>>
>>  4. Our priorities are our users and free software
>
> [..]
>
>>  5. Works that do not meet our free software standards
>
> [..]
>
>>         So, SC says we know our users might need non-free crap, and we
>>  shall give it to them, in  `contrib' and `non-free' areas in our
>>  archive.
>
> That still doesn't conclude that releasing Lenny with propable issues
> violates the SC. As already pointed out why should hardware that loads
> firmware blobs from flash be treated different than hardware loading
> the blob from a filesystem. One could conclude that even Intel CPUs
> are non-free while UltraSparcs are DFSG-free placing amd64 and i386
> outside main.

        It is no different. Debian should be distributing neither. We
 should not get in the way of the user getting their non-free crap from
 elsewhere (even embedded in their hardware, or on a usb stick from
 non-free), but neither should be in Debian main. If you find hardware
 with embedded software in Debian main, please let me know.  I know
 people who relish downloadable hardware, it feeds their SCI-FI fetishes.

        manoj
--
He who takes nothing in the world that has not been given him, long or
short, big or small, attractive or that is what I call a brahmin. 409