On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 03:54:26PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> - I haven't mentioned it yet publicly (still due to ENOTIME), but I
>   still have mixed feelings about the provision that allows "younger"
>   ctte members to step down, inhibiting the expiry of "older" members.
>   I'm not necessarily against that, but I'm struggling to understanding
>   its rationale.
>   Antony: can you remind us what the rationale is?
>   Others: how do you feel about that?

When first posted, there was concern that continuity is a good thing and
having a large proportion of the ctte expire at the same time would be
a bad thing:

 - Tollef: https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/05/msg00057.html
 - Stefano: https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/05/msg00059.html
 - Brian: https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/05/msg00082.html

So based on Russ's comment of:

 "The primary goal of this sort of system is to rotate fresh people
  through the decision-making body."
   - https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/05/msg00055.html

I figured it might work to switch from the goal of "constant max term" to
"constant rate of change over":

 "If we want the opportunity to appoint new members regularly, rather
  than expire old members per se, we could just say that: "on July 1st,
  the two longest serving ctte members' term expires" to end up with
  (on average) four year terms... Probably needs some tweaking though
  -- maybe it ought only apply if nobody's resigned in the previous 12
  months or something.
   - https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/05/msg00061.html

They're both reasonable "principles" in my opinion; the only question
between them is how you balance continuity/disruption against rate
of progress. I don't personally have much of a preference either way.

Note that the "worst case" scenario would be something like:

 - Keith, Colin, Russ, Don, Steve, Andi all quit from the tech ctte
   effective Dec 30th
 - Jan 1st rolls around
 - Are Bdale and Ian removed?

The "can't rejoin for 12 months" rule would prevent any of them from being
immediately reappointed, and the tech ctte would have to be reconstituted
from all new members by the DPL at that point. Is it better to have some
continuity in the form of Bdale and Ian still being around?

(I don't really have a preference; maybe if they knew Bdale and Ian
would disappear too, that'd be enough to prevent a couple of other
members from quitting in the first place)

Cheers,
aj