On Thursday 20 October 2005 16:49, Richard Atterer wrote:
> Um, yes, but the typical user comes to the page looking for something
> in particular, they don't actually read most of the text on the page,
> but scan it looking for a link to what they want. So your assumption
> that people actually *want* to read the main text is wrong.

For the front page that is probably true, but personally I find a left
menu distracting also after navigating to another page (the one that I
actually _do_ want to read ;-)

In the case of Debian's current layout it is not so bad because of the
full color background for the navigation menu, so the main text is
clearly separated. But in the proposed versions the distinction between
menu and main text area is a lot weaker.