Thanks Branden for all your great work!

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 on "Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:45:17 -0500",
 with "Re: Place of X RESOURCE files (xfree86_4.0.1)",
  Branden Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I will apply your patch for phase2v20, and we'll see if it works.  Thanks
> very much for your contribution.

It will do work well for us, I think. I'll check it when
I can get libglide3-dev from somewhere and can build it
locally (currently I can not find libglide3 and libglide3-dev).

BTW, you wrote on debian-x at Sun, 16 Jul 2000:

 <http://lists.debian.org/debian-x-0007/msg00016.html>

  | On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 12:49:16AM +0900, ISHIKAWA Mutsumi wrote:
  | >  Perhaps we'll change default setting of glyph caching mode to apply this
  | > patch and rebuild xfree86-1.
  | >
  | > --- xc/include/fonts/font.h.orig      Thu Jul 13 00:36:53 2000
  | > +++ xc/include/fonts/font.h   Thu Jul 13 00:37:56 2000
  | > @@ -96,7 +96,7 @@
  | >  #define CACHING_OFF 0
  | >  #define CACHE_16_BIT_GLYPHS 1
  | >  #define CACHE_ALL_GLYPHS 2
  | > -#define DEFAULT_GLYPH_CACHING_MODE CACHING_OFF
  | > +#define DEFAULT_GLYPH_CACHING_MODE CACHE_16_BIT_GLYPHS
  | >  extern int glyphCachingMode;
  | >
  | >  extern int StartListFontsWithInfo(
  |
  | That's interesting; thanks for pointing it out.  I'm trying to avoid
  | further changes to the upstream source for 3.3.6-10, but I'll be interested
  | to see what the default for this is in 4.0.1.  If you're not subscribed to
  | debian-x, please do so and keep me on my toes with respect to i18n issues
  | with the new version of X.  I expect to have Phase 1 .debs (see URL below)
  | available this week.

I have checked the source tree of ph2v18, and v20 diff.gz,
and I think this patch can be applied for current 4.0.1 ph2v20
tree.  The necessity of this pacth is desribed in

 <http://lists.debian.org/debian-x-0007/msg00007.html>

  | > On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:05:00PM -0600, Anthony Fok wrote:
  | >
  | > > I am glad that you somehow found out "-deferglyphs 16".  :-)  This option
  | > > "defers" the loading of 16-bit glyphs e.g. large CJK and Unicode fonts.
  | > > Otherwise, X would try to load the _entire_ font (with 14000+ glyphs)
  | > > into the memory all at once.  This soon crashes the X font server,
  | > > and since X can't talk to the font server any more, it just freezes whenever
  | > > a font is requested.  At this state, X would use up all the CPU resources,
  | > > probably trying desperately to talk to a non-existent font server.  :-)
  | >
  | > If I understand your description correctly this option is never harmful but
  | > very useful for some setups. Don't you think that the Debian setup should
  | > pass this option per default? In that case please ask Branden if he can
  | > do that (or file a bug, severity wishlist, on xserver-common).

Please consider this also for your 4.0.1 package.  Thanks.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>