 >> I'm experiencing the same problem with X.org from Debian Lenny on
 >> the similar (Radeon HD 2400 XT) hardware.

 > is it better in squeeze, sid, or experimental?

        The problem of scrambled colors with -depth 24 seem to be
        vanished by 1:2.3.0-3, thanks.  (Though I'm more inclined to use
        xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd for it works for a long time now.)

        However, there still is a similarly-looking issue with
        -depth 16.

        TIA.

$ lspci | grep -F Radeon\ HD | base64
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 video device
[Radeon HD 2400 PRO]
04:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 audio device [Radeon HD 2400
PRO]
$

--
FSF associate member #7257