After installing some updates – sorry, I don't know which was the
relevant one, I assume gnome-shell – I'm forced into GNOME fallback mode
now; I suppose my graphics hardware got blacklisted.

xsession-errors contains the following lines:
> gnome-session-is-accelerated: No hardware 3D support.
> gnome-session-check-accelerated: Helper exited with code 256

Does it make any sense to switch to GNOME shell with 'gnome-shell
--replace' and add more information to this report? Or is there a way to
avoid fallback mode for testing purposes?

Thanks,
Stefan.