On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 09:11:29AM +0000, Philip Armstrong wrote:
> This is now a FAQ answered in the Debian X package docs :) Synopsis:
> Debian is waiting for the modular, autotooled X.org sources to
> happen before shifting to the new X release, on the grounds that
> otherwise they'd have to do all the work (porting the patches,
> checking it all etc etc) twice -- once for the monolithic X.org
> sources and again for the autotooled sources.

[This is a bit off-topic, to say nothing of 3 months late, but I thought
I'd offer the correction nonetheless.]

That's not true.  We do intend to package the monolithic X.Org X11 release,
much as Ubuntu has done.

That work has started at

While there's still a fair amount of work to be done, that repository makes
things look even leaner than they are because a lot of the stuff that just
copies over from the xfree86 packaging without modification hasn't been
copied yet.  Right now I'm working through some fairly low-level decisions
with the X Strike Force guys, such as selection of a new patch management
system.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     That's the saving grace of humor:
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     if you fail, no one is laughing at