After some tests, here is what seems to come out (and gives me a workaround) :

* Having only the French (alternative) as selected layout in gnome does not
work : only the keyboard set in /etc/default/keyboard is given (at least I
think so)
* Having French (alternative) and another one like Russian for example makes
the applet appearing, but unable to switch between them.
* I can have the applet able to switch between layouts (only) if I set the
French layout (the basic one) in first position of my selected layouts.