Some programs (e.g. games) mess up some of my displays, and sometimes one of my 2560x1440 monitors turns off (different issue that I haven't figured out.)

To reinitialize the displays, I just switch to a text console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and back to X. That generally works. But rarely when I try to switch back to the X display with Ctrl-Alt-F7, the X server hangs and doesn't accept keyboard or mouse events, it doesn't even switch to graphics mode.

In the past I killed the X server but today I noticed in the X log file
[177701.724] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
but not the usual "Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)".

Et voila, a "/etc/init.d/acpid restart" fixed it and the X server got going again - display restored and everything worked.

Is that a known issue? If that happens again, what's the best way to figure out why acpid doesn't respond? I have no idea about how the X stack and acpid interact.

Ralf-Peter