> libx11-dev is not installed by
> default.  As far as I'm concerned this is a non-bug.

Policy says:

     `Recommends'
          This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency.

          The `Recommends' field should list packages that would be found
          together with this one in all but unusual installations.

Today it is quite common (and I would argue that it is the most common case)
to install -dev packages just to be able to compile some software.  Thus it
is not unusual at all not to need -doc packages.  And in fact the vast majority
of Debian packages only has a Suggests: relationship between -dev and -doc
packages,
including several xorg packages (xcb, xaw...)

In the context where Debian gets installed more and more on space-constrained/
embedded platforms, installing it by default is even less relevant.