At 2017-04-06T21:56:13-0400, James McCoy wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 12:54:19AM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:

> > > It was.
> >
> > Hello Branden!
> > Thanks for trying to reproduce the bug.
> >
> > Does it help to know that I have:
> >
> >   xset b off
> >
> > in my ~/.xsession script?
>
> I don't think that's relevant.  My bell is on.  I was also able to
> reproduce it without causing the bell.
>
> I've attached an asciinema recording of me reproducing the problem.
> When I replay the recording, it causes the same problem to the xterm in
> which it is running, so hopefully this helps debug the problem.

That's really interesing.  I _still_ can't repro this, even playing back
James's demo with asciinema--a tool of which I wasn't aware, thanks!

I'm launching xterm in GNOME with the GNOME command runner, whatever
that's called--the Alt+F2 thing.

However, my xterms are somewhat customized.  I'm attaching my
.Xresources file.

Regards,
Branden
XTerm.PtyInitialErase: true
XTerm.TermName: xterm-256color
XTerm.ToolBar: false
! From xterm(1):
!
! If your xterm is configured to support the “toolbar”, then those patterns need
! an extra level for the form-widget which holds the toolbar and vt100 widget.
! A wildcard between the top-level “XTerm” and the “vt100” widget makes the
! resource settings work for either, e.g., “XTerm*vt100.NAME”.
XTerm.*.VT100.Background: gray10
XTerm.*.VT100.FaceName: FreeMono
! Set FaceSize big, but small enough for 165x50 text on a 1898x1143 root window.
! 14 would work, but underscores (_) do not render at all in FreeMono on Debian
! Stretch. (See < http://bugs.debian.org/858142 >).
! XXX: You can''t have unpaired apostrophes in X resource comment lines?  When
! did that happen?
XTerm.*.VT100.FaceSize: 13
XTerm.*.VT100.Foreground: gray90
XTerm.*.VT100.VisualBell: true
! Keep left Alt working as a Meta key, while letting right Alt work as an
! AltGr key under the following X configuration:
! xkb_keymap {
!       xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
!       xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
!       xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
!       xkb_symbols   { include
"pc+us(altgr-intl)+us:2+us:3+inet(evdev)+level3(ralt_switch)+compose(caps)+terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)"
    };
!       xkb_geometry  { include "hhk(basic)"    };
! };
XTerm.*.VT100.MetaSendsEscape: true
! vim:set ai et sw=4 ts=4 tw=80: