384.98-2 dropped into sid this morning. It installed.

This last weekend, I purged nvidia, and reinstalled.  What was available in
sid was 375.82, and it stalled.  Then 378 came into sid, and it was
installable.  Then this morning, I was able to install 384.98-2.

Still having a mesa-related error:

root@asus:/home/chris# glxinfo | grep OpenGL
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  6 (X_GLXIsDirect)
  Serial number of failed request:  48
root@asus:/home/chris#  glxinfo  | grep rendering
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  6 (X_GLXIsDirect)
  Serial number of failed request:  48
root@asus:/home/chris#

But that's another issue that I'm hoping a mesa update will fix. The
installation issue is resolved for me.