Source: mesa
Severity: important
Justification: causes FTBFS in at least src:gtk4
Tags: ftbfs
debian-loonga...@packages.debian.org, debian-m...@packages.debian.org
User: debian-m...@packages.debian.org
Usertags: mips64el
User: debian-ri...@packages.debian.org
Usertags: riscv64

Historically, Mesa's llvmpipe used LLVM MCJIT, which supports a limited
range of architectures and will not add more, and this resulted in
several architectures having either a broken llvmpipe or no llvmpipe
support at all.

With the recent upload of Mesa 24.2.x to unstable, llvmpipe now uses
ORCJIT for architectures where MCJIT is unavailable. However, the ORCJIT
version of llvmpipe doesn't seem to be particularly mature yet (perhaps
unsurprisingly, it's very new!) and is crashing under some circumstances
on at least riscv64: #1080435.

If softpipe was still enabled on at least the affected architectures,
then packages' test suites would be able to force its use via
GALLIUM_DRIVER=softpipe in the environment if necessary. At the
moment src:gtk4 does this on mips*, plus the powerpc and sparc* -ports
architectures, to avoid #1010838; the removal of the softpipe driver
means that this makes GL initialization fail, causing test failures and
a FTBFS (I'll report this as a separate RC bug in src:gtk4). I had hoped
to do the same for riscv64 to work around #1080435, but in fact this is
not possible for the same reason.

While it's more important on the ORCJIT architectures, also enabling
softpipe on more mainstream architectures like x86 would make it easier
for maintainers to compare llvmpipe with softpipe (without having to
build their package on porterboxes that are often very slow), and easier
to get a consistent test result for all architectures.

For what it's worth, the upstream default (with -Dgallium-drivers=auto)
is to enable softpipe on all architectures. In the Debian
packaging, I believe this would be most easily done by reverting
1ba4b2499e875266f6fbd7ba20068fb569986286 "rules: Build softpipe or
llvmpipe depending on the arch, not both.".

Thanks,
    smcv