retitle 271993 xserver-xfree86: [via] Smile brand monitor from 1988 hoses up
DDC information and sync ranges calculated from it on unknown vendor (0x1106)
unknown chipset (0x3122) rev 3
tag 271993 + moreinfo
thanks

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:25:07PM +0200, Martijn van de Streek wrote:
> Package: xserver-xfree86
> Version: 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4
> Severity: normal
>
> I have a very cheap, old monitor (from "Smile"), which doesn't work
> right with the "via" driver (the driver doesn't fall back to the values
> I specified in the XF85Config-4 when DDC returns "0", or something like
> that?)
>
> The monitor seems to support DDC2 (there's information that looks like
> that in the log, even though get-edid can't find any, and X also works
> fine after running read-edid once, because subsequent DDC transfers by X
> fail if get-edid has been run)). In the list of "supported modes",
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] is mentioned.
>
> If I try to use a 1024x768 mode however, it won't work, and just fall
> back to 640x480 (which always works). If I unplug the monitor (turning
> it off is not enough) from the computer, X starts fine in 1024x768 mode,
> and continues to work after I plug in the monitor.
>
> I've attached my X config and XFree86.0.log for both the "with-monitor" and
> "monitorless" startup modes.

Does the X server come up as desired with the monitor plugged in if you
modify the "Device" section of your XF86Config-4 file to include the line:

  Option "NoDDCValue" "true"

?

The via(4x) manpage has more about this.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Turning on -Wall is like turning on
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    the pain.