On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Daniel Stone wrote:

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 08:53:41AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> It should be able to fix the problem but i cannot test it myself since I
> lack that kind of hardware.

I can test any of these patches,

Please do so!

but I doubt stuff like 3D will work if this microcode is actually
needed! This would be really, really, really bad if we can do neither 3D
nor acceleration.

Yes these was mentioned on debian-x. Sorry i don't have the message
reference handy.

Next time we need a more thorough analysis, not just 'I don't think this
file gets used much anywhere'. That includes testing on the relevant
hardware: I have a Radeon 9000 which can be used for testing Radeon
stuff, but I just assumed it had been tested when it was asserted that
it was thoroughly unnecessary.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/debian-x-200404/msg00955.html

I did call for testers after we changed/removed the code from X but there
have no replies to it. I assumed that noone had problems with it.

Fabio

This is not a problem with the new XFree86. It works fine with Debian kernel version 2.6.5-2. Non-free firmware was also pulled from the Debian kernel starting in version 2.6.5-3, and that is what causes this problem. See bug #246587 against kernel-image-2.6.5-1-686.

It would be nice, though, if X didn't lockup using 100% cpu in this situation.

Josh