On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 04:30:13PM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> Package: xterm
> Version: 4.3.0.dfsg.1-6
> Severity: normal
>
> Hi,
> the above is no longer working after an upgrade to the versions below.
> Before that I could use: Alt-f, Alt-b to jump whole words forward or
> backward in a bash running within xterm. This doesn't work anymore,
> ESC-f, ESC-b still works though. Any ideas where to start digging?

I don't think the problem is within xterm (it's been a while since I tweaked
the logic for this).  More likely something in the keyboard configuration
has separated the definitions that you were relying upon.  What I do to
debug this is to use xev and ensure that it's reporting "Meta_L" for the
key.  If that's right, I generally compile a debug version of xterm
(configure --enable-trace) and check the initialization of the modifiers.

I did check over this recently and recall that there was some issue where
one could accidentally setup a conflict that would make xterm not do meta.
But that also showed up in xmodmap's display.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net