Boris Kolpackov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am having problems with above-mentioned card. After startx the box
> just hangs (black screen) with the only way out is through power-down
> (C-A-Backspace doesn't work). There is no log in /var/log/XFree86.0.log.
>
> Here is some info:
>
> * Card is VisionTek eXtasy Radeon 9200 256MB PCI DVI/VGA/SV
>   DeviceID is 5961
>
> * XFree86-4.3.0.1 is from Debian unstable. I have disabled DRI (see config
>   below).
>

> * I am running linux kernel 2.6.4. I have disabled AGP/Framebuffer.
>

> * Driver from ATI v3.14.6 (for 4.3.0) seem to work ok.
>
> * I tried various options for radeon driver (you can see them in config
>   file below) without any difference.

Meantime I continued poking the radeon driver. Since after the startx
the box is totally wasted I decide to ssh from a remote box and run
XFree86 -verbose. This way I at least could capture some output. The whole
thing appeared to hang right after

(--) Depth 24 pixmap format 32 bpp

and just before

(II) do I need RAC? No, I don't.

So I started comparing output from ATI driver to the one from XFree's
radeon. All important things seemed identical (like addresses of MMIO regs,
V_BIOS segment, BIOS, Linear Framebuffer, etc) except the amount of memory
the driver detected. ATI's driver reported 128MB (64bit DDR SDRAM) while
radeon reported 256 (128bit DDR SDRAM). So I added

VideoRam 131072

to the video card section of XF86Config-4. And everything just worked.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

hth,
-boris