Perhaps I should provide some additional information. I executed the
following apt-get command that led to the error:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] $ apt-get install libqt4-dev xserver-xorg
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  libdrm2 libfontenc1 libqt4-core libqt4-debug libqt4-debug-dev libqt4-gui
libqt4-qt3support
  libqt4-sql libxfont1 libxft-dev libxft2 lmodern x11-common x11proto-core-dev
xbase-clients
  xfonts-100dpi xfonts-100dpi-transcoded xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base
xfonts-encodings
  xfonts-scalable xfonts-utils xkb-data xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-kbd
  xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-video-neomagic
xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion
  xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
Suggested packages:
  mesa-utils xfs xserver libglide2
Recommended packages:
  laptop-detect xresprobe mdetect discover xkeyboard-config
The following packages will be REMOVED
  euro-support-x gsfonts-x11 msttcorefonts x-window-system-core
xfonts-base-transcoded
  xfonts-efont-unicode xfonts-efont-unicode-ib xfree86-common xserver-common
xutils
The following NEW packages will be installed
  libdrm2 libfontenc1 libxfont1 x11proto-core-dev xfonts-encodings xfonts-utils
xkb-data
  xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse
  xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion
xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
  libqt4-core libqt4-debug libqt4-debug-dev libqt4-dev libqt4-gui
libqt4-qt3support
  libqt4-sql libxft-dev libxft2 lmodern x11-common xbase-clients xfonts-100dpi
  xfonts-100dpi-transcoded xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xserver-xorg
18 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 10 to remove and 772 not upgraded.

I've worked around this issue with dpkg -i --force-overwrite
xserver-xorg-core_1%3a1.0.2-7_i386.deb for now.

Best regards

Ben