> As pointed out in http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2003/12/msg00099.html
> I am not happy with X maintainer scripts and am not willing to spend
> a single minute on them.  If we can finally get rid of all those crappy

That's a very respectful position but I'm not sure it's very
sustainable for the Etch release.

We will release Etch with the direct support for many "non console"
languages like Indic languages...or Dzongkha here.

When installing Debian with these languages, users will end up with "a
non working keyboard map" in X...which is pretty much too bad...

Several months ago, I read about plans to migrate to whatever nice
things which would make us rid of double keyboard map configuration
(one for the console, another one for X). So far, nothing happened and
nothing will happen for Etch, that's too late.

So, at least, if we could have something, even crappy, that does set
the correct X keymap for X, it would be good

I understand that Denis doesn't want to work on it and I certainly
can't force him to do so....but it'd be nice if someone else in the
XSF would take care......

And, no the "DIY" answer is not good here, I'm just unable to do this
for skills reasons.