tags 384273 unreproducible moreinfo
thanks

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 01:59:47PM -0400, mlaks wrote:

> *** Please type your report below this line ***
> I did a fresh install of etch using business card disk, installed
> desktop packages.
> I then upgraded to sid
> from etch. I had a working X initially through the point of the
> dist-upgrade.

> In fact X continued to work until I did a reboot (I did a reboot because
> of a reinstall of linux-image-2.6.16, and system warning reboot
> neccessary because of reinstall of same kernel).

> Now after reboot X wont start with error message in X.log

> Fatal server error:
> could not open default cursor font 'cursor'

> Now I did a apt-get remove --purge xfont-base
> and I get an error message

> warning: /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc does not exist or is not a directory
> warning: /etc/X11/fonts/misc does not exist or is not a directory
> warning: /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc does not exist or is not a directory

> and same sort of message with
> apt-get install xfont-base.

The warnings about /usr/lib/X11 are innocuous warnings, not errors.  But if
you get the same warning about /etc/X11/fonts/misc on install, that would be
a serious problem, because that directory is contained in the xfonts-base
package.

But I doubt there's an xfonts-base bug here anyway, because xfonts-base is
at version 1:1.0.0-3 in both testing and unstable.

> 2)
> ls /etc/X11/fonts/misc
> xfonts-base.alias

> This absence seems to be the source of my problems. What can I do to solve
> them?

Figure out why this directory is missing after reinstalling xfonts-base, if
that's really the case.

If this directory is actually where it should be after installing, then look
somewhere else for the trouble.  If you upgraded to sid today, you might
look at whether the new xserver-xorg-core package is the cause, and try
upgrading to the version in incoming.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   http://www.debian.org/