Hi,

I am trying to limit the number of libraries that xmotd links against,
as advised by the recent post to d-d-a.

The Imakefile contains:

MOTD_LIBRARIES = $(XPM_LIB)  $(HTML_LIB_DIR) $(HTML_LIB) $(MOTIF_LIB_DIR)
$(MOTIF_LIB)
LOCAL_LIBRARIES = $(MOTD_LIBRARIES) XawClientLibs

By experimenting, I've found out that $(XMOTD_LIBRARIES) actually
expands to an empty string, while XawClientLibs expands to:

-lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXpm  -lXext -lX11

Which makes xmotd depend on uncecessary libraries. I did some grepping
and found that (I don't know whether this is the right file, but others
contain similar definitions):

/usr/lib/X11/config/X11.tmpl:#define XawClientLibs $(XAWLIB) $(XMULIB)
$(XTOOLLIB) $(XPMLIB) $(EXTRAXAWCLIENTLIBS) $(XLIB)

So I experimented some more, and replaced the LOCAL_LIBRARIES definition
with:

LOCAL_LIBRARIES = $(MOTD_LIBRARIES) $(XAWLIB)

Which in turn makes the linker arguments expand to just:
-lXaw

That seems sufficient, as xmotd still compiles and runs fine.

Now some questions:
 - is it OK for me to make this modification in my package? Won't it
   break on some other (Debian) architecture?
 - maybe it's a good idea in general, and Debian xorg should be modified
   to expand XawClientLibs to just  $(XAWLIB) ?

regards,

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216