Hi,

Thank you, Osamu :-)

SCIM via XIM really behaves abnormally in Gedit now.  I'm using the Chinese
pinyin input method engine, and the Shift key has double functionals: one
for temporarily switching Chinese input mode and English input mode; one for
switching between upper and lower characters when pressing some keys, which
is a normal functional in almost all keyboards.  The problem I encountered
is that the SCIM via XIM cannot distinguish between these two modes: it just
performs the two operations simultaneously.  That is, when I active the
Chinese pinyin input method engine, even I press Shift key and another key
at the same time (for example, I wanna input a @), SCIM will input @ (Shift
key's normal switching functional) and also temporarily switching Chinese
and English.  It is really confusing.  And the problem does not arise when
SCIM does not use XIM.

I'm waiting for the Gedit 2.16.  I hope this strange problem can disappear
when the new version of Gedit comes.

On 11/25/06, Osamu Aoki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 02:30:03AM +0800, Hongzheng Wang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> To be honest, I do not know well why my bug report is reassigned and
> retitled as freeze when XIM is used to input Japanese text ...
>
> The bug I reported is about the Shift key behavior of SCIM in gedit, and
> did not notice the freezing problem reported by others at all :-)
>
> Maybe is there some misunderstanding ... or, just because these bugs are
> about both SCIM and gedit?

That may be partly my mistake.

There is something funny going with gedit with XIM tools such as SCIM
and UIM.

After carefully re-reading, I think there may be 2 separate issues with
gedit which may or may not be related.

I do not see any issues like Mr. Hongzheng Wang reported in my system
now.  I am now switched back to SCIM via XIM.  But, at least,  Mr.
Hongzheng Wang had problem.

I have set up another account with UIM via XIM.  There, gedit freeze is
real.  It freezes with shift key alone.

I do not know if the bug is in
* gedit
* XIM tool sets (UIM and SCIM)