On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:40:23 +0100, Michel Dänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Maybe Google Earth enables sync-to-vblank via GLX API. Does it work if
you set the environment variable

vblank_mode=0

?

Yes, that works fine! Thanks!

Alternatively, does it work with libgl1-mesa-dri from experimental?

------
  libdrm2 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx
------

This problem is gone. However the version from experimental seems to be really experimental and doesn't work well. As soon as you zoom in to much the screen gets blue.
http://r2d2.stefanm.com/gearth-dri-experimental.png
http://r2d2.stefanm.com/gearth-dri-testing.png
The first screenshot is taken with libs from experimental and no fixes, the second one with the normal libs from etch, both show "RMS Queen Mary" from the "Sightseeing" tour. Perhaps I would have to upgrade other packages to make this work, however this is not important as the solution above works.

What does

dmesg|grep i915

say?
-----
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0
-----

I'm not sure when this problem was introduced, but the last time I used
google-earth was around mid-february IIRC. Is there somewhere an archive
of old versions so I can try which ones work?

There's snapshot.debian.net.

After playing with different old versions and none working I remembered that I changed something else too: My kernel. I upgraded from 2.6.19 to 2.6.20 some weeks ago. Booted 2.6.19 and everything worked again. Then I checked the diffs for i915 and they changed the vblank functions. So this is a problem with different versions of userland and kernel software. I'm sorry, that I didn't check the kernel earlier, but I didn't even think that it might be a kernel problem as xserver-xorg-video-i810-modesetting works with this kernel.

Here a list what works and what doesn't:
Works:
- kernel 2.6.19
- kernel 2.6.20 with vblank_mode=0
- kernel 2.6.20 with xserver-xorg-video-i810-modesetting

Works but not good:
- kernel 2.6.20 with libs from experimental (see above)
- kernel 2.6.20 with LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 (slow)

Does not work at all:
- kernel 2.6.20 with libs from etch and no special settings

I'll use the vblank_mode solution for now.

I'm not sure if this bugreport should be closed or kept open.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Hermann