On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 19:52 -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Em Seg, 2007-07-16 às 13:27 +0200, Michel Dänzer escreveu:
> > On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 08:17 -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > > Package: xserver-xorg-video-intel
> > > Version: 2:2.1.0-2
> > > Severity: normal
> > >
> > > When I start compiz or beryl some windows are sometimes blank when they
> > > are first mapped,
> > > and only update their contents when their size is changed (by resizing)
> > > or when I roll them
> > > up (so that only the title bar is visible) and back.
> >
> > Does Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" fix it?
>
> Oh, it does! I did not test it extensively, but most things look OK now.
> It would be awesome if I did no need to add an aditional option,

Yeah, it would be nice if XAA wasn't broken...

> so I don't know if it is best to just close the bug or turn it into a
> wishlist for auto-configuration (or bug fix, if needing that is indeed a
> bug).

Some distros use a patch to automatically disable XAA offscreen pixmaps
when starting a GLX compositing manager, but all the versions I've seen
of that patch have some pretty serious problems:

      * Kills the server abruptly when using EXA instead of XAA.
      * Never re-enables XAA offscreen pixmaps, so performance will
        suffer when switching from a GLX compositing manager to none.

If someone were to fix at least the first problem, it might be a
feasible workaround.