> Can you try with xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.7.195-2 currently in
> experimental ?

I tried, and it didn't help.

> I would bet you have some 3D running in xscreensaver. Does it help if
> you remove it and just use a blank screensaver (or at least 2D only)?
 If
> so, could you to locate which exact screensaver causes the lockup?

I never ever tweaked my xscreensaver, it has the default settings. The
bug is not triggered when the screensavers start, but only appears after
some time, so I guess you're right about it being due to some one of
them.

However, since you mentionned 3D, I launched glxgears, and it froze
too. It did work at some point in the past, though I haven't used it in a
while. It doesn't freeze exactly in the same way every time, and some
times, but not always, it seems that the kernel itself gets frozen: magic
keys won't work, network connectivity is lost... I should also say that
when X eats up 99% of the CPU usage, it is all accounted as system
time. This might as well be a kernel bug. No error output is available.

I reproduced it with older kernels, down to 2.6.17.11. 2.6.16.1 did not
crash with glxgears, but I think it's only because it doesn't work as it
should due to some driver version mismatch.

--
Pierre Ynard