On 2007-11-02 20:49+0100 Brice Goglin wrote:

In particular is there some confusion between VGA and VGA-1 that could be
causing the problem with adding modelines?

Possibly, yes.

Option          "Monitor-VGA" "Sony CPD-15SF2"

Monitor-VGA-1 might be better since the output of xrandr seems to say
that output VGA-1 is used here.

line in the device section of xorg.conf as recommended by the man page for
xorg.conf.  I haven't tried VGA-1, in that line (since the intel man page
says to use VGA), but I wonder if the confusion between VGA and VGA-1 is
causing a problem here?

VGA-1 is the name of the second VGA output when using the Intel driver.
VGA is the first one. These names are not well standardized across
drivers yet, I hope it will be better in the future.

Worse yet, only the VGA one is documented in the intel man page.  However,
when I tried

Option          "Monitor-VGA-1" "Sony CPD-15SF2"

encouraged by your remark above but contrary to the man page that (finally)
solved the issue of having a good refresh rate right from startx.  That is,
my special modeline was finally recognized, and the "PreferredMode" option
worked for the first time.  So I am a happy camper after a couple of days
struggle with this.  Thanks very much for your help and especially the
informed guess above!

In sum, here are the two man page changes I recommend to avoid other users
(no matter how experienced) running into these sorts of RandR problems again
and again.

1. Put a reference to the HowTo in the xorg.conf man page at the first
mention of RandR.  There is a lot of other RandR stuff in that man page now,
and the HowTo reference would make sense of it.

2. Change the intel man page so that it is clear VGA and VGA-1 are accepted
in the above Option command.  Right now it says only VGA which screwed me
up completely with regard to adding a special modeline and using the
"PreferredMode" option.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).