On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 22:28:03 +0100, Brice Goglin wrote:
> Jan Hudec wrote:
>> I however had to add *both* Modes and PreferredMode to make it work.
>> PreferredMode by itself didn't work.
>
> Actually, what you should need is Modeline+PreferredMode. PreferredMode is
> useless without ModeLine. But Modes shouldn't be needed at all.

I made one more test and with proper HorizSync and VertRefresh settings,
neither modeline nor modes are needed. Without PreferredMode the monitor is
however still set to quite a bad value even with the correct settings.

That implies, that the autodetected values are wrong and the mode set as
prefered is not in the auto-generated list, so it needed to be forced into
the list.  Is there any way to look at the values X server autodetects?
Though, this monitor is rather old, so it might simply report incorrect
values.

By the way, it would be nice to add a question to debconf configuration to
set the preferred mode with comment that users can leave it blank if the
autodetection works right for them and set it if it does not.

Thanks,

Jan

--
                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[EMAIL