HMH: be sure to add your warning to
linux-doc-2.6.25/Documentation/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.txt.gz

And it seems the severity of this bug should be elevated: something on
Debian is hijacking the brightness, causing the user to need to hit Fn
End, or else go blind. But then we thus enter the realm of the user
(via the keyboard) and the system (via whatever rotten program is
writing to that register or whatever) battling for the brightness --
the same thing HMH warned about. If it could knock pixels out of "h"
(like some kind of "melt" game), then it surely could blow holes into
one's data (files) upon saving, etc. who knows -- and may be the root
of all kinds of funny behavior.

> Remove the ACPI video module from the system.  See if that helps things.
Maybe you mean one of these
$ dlocate acpi|grep vid
linux-image-2.6.25-2-686: /lib/modules/2.6.25-2-686/kernel/drivers/acpi/video.ko
$ lsmod|grep acpi|grep v
nvram                   8396  1 thinkpad_acpi
So I would need the exact command to proceed, if we are to explore
this area still.

> Compile thinkpad-acpi with the THINKPAD_ACPI_DEBUG Kconfig option, and
> give the thinkpad-acpi module the parameter debug=0xffff.  That might
> produce some debug output I can use.

Errgg... but I am just an apt-get kind of guy... that would be
entering the deep part of the swimming pool for me.

> Read the thinkpad-acpi docs in Documentation/thinkpad-acpi.txt (on the
> kernel source tree) and play with the brightness_mode parameters, please.
> Tell me what you find.

Yes, I recall that I did want to try the brightness_mode parameter,
but couldn't figure out how to use it. Apparently one needs to stick
it in some /etc/defaults file. As you see in #486716, I can't even
figure out how to print out the parameters a module was called with.

Anyway, this battle for the brightness seems to have started only a
couple of months ago here on sid...