JM> This has nothing to do with the font server; as most applications, xterm
JM> is now using Xft. Your problem is most likely caused by a wrong
JM> detection of your screen’s characteristics. You can override it by
JM> passing the -dpi 96 to your X server, in your display manager’s
JM> configuration.

Ah, sounds like the breakthrough to the chain of thought I need.
OK, I managed to do -dpi 96 by editing /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.
But however: "STILL UGLY", below. Any other ideas? Thanks.
$ pstree -a
  ├─xdm
  │   ├─Xorg :0 vt7 -nolisten tcp -dpi 96 -auth
/var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A:0-J7ZaOX
  │   └─xdm
  │       └─sh /home/jidanni/.xsession
  │           ├─icewm-session
  │           │   ├─icewm
  │           │   ├─icewmbg
  │           │   └─icewmtray
  │           ├─sh /home/jidanni/.xsession
  │           │   └─emacs -f gnus
  │           │       ├─bash --noediting -i
  │           │       │   └─pstree -a
  │           │       └─ispell -a -m -B -d american
  │           ├─ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session sh
/home/jidanni/.xsession
  │           └─xterm -class UXTerm -title uxterm -u8
  │               └─bash
  │                   └─xterm -class UXTerm -title uxterm -u8 -fa <----STILL
UGLY
  │                       └─bash