On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 06:53:24PM +0200, Brice Goglin wrote:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
> > Package: xorg
> > Version: 1:7.3+16
> > Severity: normal
> >

> > After loging in with gdm, all seems to work fine until I want to
> > go to a console via CTRL-ALT-Fn.
> >
> > Upon doing so, I find that the text console seems to be expanded
> > vertically, making the two top lines and the bottom line invisible,
> > seeming to be above and below the screen.
> >
> > Going back with CTRL-ALT-F7, the screen is completely black and the
> > power light indicator of the monitor begins to flikker as if the
> > computer is turned off or blanked in screensaver mode. Nothing
> > I do can make the session active again, except for CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE
> > that will break off the X-seesion and will give me a gdm inlog screen.
> >

> Did this problem appear recently? after upgrading from what to what?
>
> Your hardware is pretty recent, it might be good if you could test the
> latest upstream git, it could be better. You can either build it
> manually (look at http://bgoglin.livejournal.com/10936.html and replace
> intel with ati), or just upgrade your X packages to experimental.
>
> Brice

This is a recent optiplex 755 from dell. I installed it with etchandahalf.
It came with the following versions:

xorg                                        1:7.1.0-19
xserver-xorg                                1:7.1.0-19
xserver-xorg-core                           2:1.1.1-21etch5

CTRL-ALT-Fn sort of worked. When returning to the graphical environment
the colors were mixed up. Then I upgraded to the following versions

xorg                                        1:7.3+16
xserver-xorg                                1:7.3+16
xserver-xorg-core                           2:1.4.2-5

Which resulted in the symptoms I described.

--
Antoon Pardon