On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 22:23 +0200, GSR wrote:
> Hi,
> daen...@debian.org (2009-04-29 at 1716.10 +0200):
> > On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 22:07 +0200, GSR wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > daen...@debian.org (2009-04-28 at 1105.49 +0200):

> > > With that glxgears just prints:
> > >
> > > ---8<---
> > > Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
> > > --->8---

Hmm, actually I can reproduce this... I'll get it fixed upstream.
While your problem probably isn't directly related to this,
XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 should serve as a workaround for it if it
wasn't for this other problem.

> My logs have been reporting for some time that both DRI and DRI2 are
> being loaded, but at the same time it shows:
>
> ---8<---
> (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
> --->8---
>
> And xdpyinfo shows DRI2 and XFree86-DRI. A bit confusing.

These just mean the X server extensions are available, not that the
drivers actually support DRI2. DRI2 support for the Radeon drivers is
being worked on, but it'll probably be a while before it shows up in end
user releases.

> > > There is also a 2D app that causes black zones in similar fashion than
> > > 3D ones (its pixels which are covered by others appear as black).
> >
> > That's expected, obscured parts of windows are not usually preserved in
> > X11.
>
> I know, but no idea how that applies. To make it clear, the "weird 2D"
> window is below the others. I can get screenshots of it if uncovered,
> and I can get screenshots of other 2D windows. When a 2D window is
> placed over the "funny" one, then the overlapping pixels appear black
> in captures, while monitor shows the contents of all windows fine.
>
> 3D case is the same... it is like if some kind of "censor" went over
> pixels looking for where 3D or the "weird 2D" are behind others and
> set black the pixels delivered to the capture process. What I expected
> is to see whatever is on top, thus preserving (or not) things that are
> behind should not matter. See attached screenshot and mockup of what
> it should show.

Hmm, not sure what's going on then. However, the Mesa driver isn't
involved for 2D windows, so this is probably a separate issue.