Reply to: andyb@thumpernet
      Re: [Declude.JunkMail] mailing lists on Friday 10:53:25 AM

We do not take this approach. We made everything WARN except
WEIGHT10 which is HOLD. Then we give SpamCop a '9' weight.
We make other weights to trigger the WEIGHT10 hold if more
than SpamCop occurs. If only SpamCop occurs, then the mail
is delivered. Basically, we ask other resources to 'confirm'
SpamCop... and we have almost no legitimate email being
captured at all. I agree that this is working better than ever.

There is no easy way to confirm that users signed up for
these lists. Lists of millions of email addresses are being
sold as already screened through opt-in processes when they
have not. The user is simply sent an email saying it is
arriving because he or she already opted-in... when no such
process ever occurred... If we find a legitimate list we will
whitelist it generally. But this is very rare with the
above configuration.

--
Roger Heath

----- Copy of Original Message(s): -----

a> Hi,

a> I checked the headers, it was not pm0.net and I checked with the

a> So, there were 3 false positives this morning out of 40 being held.  I
a> don't even bother to HOLD for SPAMROUTING and a couple of other tests as
a> there didn't appear to be any false positives, and I have pm0.net in the Imail kill
list.

a> I'm still HOLDing ZONEIN, but I tend to agree with Don's reasoning that
a> if legitmate email is coming via an open relay, the sys admin for that
a> email server needs to get with the program and lock it down.

a> So, SPAMCOP is still suspect to me and I'm getting more false positives
a> from it than anywhere else...  But I'm doing to continue to use it with
a> HOLD and evaluate what it is catching.

a> Most customer reaction is very positive and anybody that wants the spam
a> I just exempt.

a> I'm happy on the whole with how it all is working, my level of
a> satisfaction is rising as my understand of how is works rises.  A little
a> lack of ingorance goes a long way. ;-)  (did I say that?)

a> Thanks,
a> Andy Baldwin

a> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
a> http://www.thumpernet.com
a> 315-282-0020

a> Friday, January 04, 2002, 10:21:36 AM, you wrote:

RH>> Reply to: R. Scott Perry
RH>>       Re: [Declude.JunkMail] mailing lists on Friday 9:01:19 AM

RH>> Be careful too... mail from @universalstudios.86server.pm0.com
RH>> is not necessarily mail from Universal Studios... <g>

RH>> We see SpamCop as the most reliable, and we just use weighting
RH>> to 'confirm' SpamCop and we really do not see hardly any
RH>> legitimate email captured at all. Most of these saver lists
RH>> are really spamming...under the guise of the user having signed
RH>> up. Most opt-in is really not opt-in, similar to 'This is not
RH>> spam' statements.

RH>> --
RH>> Roger Heath

RH>> ----- Copy of Original Message(s): -----

R>>> The neat thing about the SPAMCOP test is that the information they supply
R>>> (which is included in the warning added to the headers, and the log file)
R>>> gives a URL where you can find out why it was listed.  You can see what %
R>>> of the mail they sent was considered spam by the recipient.

R>>> Note that there are many legitimate companies that will not use "confirmed
R>>> opt-in", which means that people may "play games" with their friends and
R>>> sign them up.  In that case, esavers or Universal Studios *would* be
R>>> sending out spam.

R>>>                                                     -Scott

RH>> ---
RH>> [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus (http://www.declude.com)]

RH>> ---

RH>> This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail mailing list.  To
RH>> unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
RH>> type "unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  You can E-mail
RH>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] for assistance.  You can visit our web
RH>> site at http://www.declude.com .

a> ---
a> [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus (http://www.declude.com)]

a> ---

a> This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail mailing list.  To
a> unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
a> type "unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  You can E-mail
a> [EMAIL PROTECTED] for assistance.  You can visit our web
a> site at http://www.declude.com .

site at http://www.declude.com .